Thread poster: 633310 (X)
 633310 (X)
633310 (X)  Identity Verified

Local time: 11:02
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Dec 5, 2007

Dear friends,

I'm updating my personal site and I would like to know if someone of you have localized your personal sites in your working languges. Could you please help me how to do it? I suppose I need to know some special configurations of HTML code...
Thanks a lot for your help!

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:02
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Localization is pretty easy Dec 5, 2007

Hi,
Well, actually you need two "separate" and identical sites. I mean you need all the files of the site in one language, and another set of the same files with the only difference is the language the text is written in.
If you decide to keep the layout and navigation identical between the two sites, all you need to do is to locate the text in the "source" language and replace it with the text of the localized language, it is actually pretty easy, all you need is a text editor (I re
... See more
Hi,
Well, actually you need two "separate" and identical sites. I mean you need all the files of the site in one language, and another set of the same files with the only difference is the language the text is written in.
If you decide to keep the layout and navigation identical between the two sites, all you need to do is to locate the text in the "source" language and replace it with the text of the localized language, it is actually pretty easy, all you need is a text editor (I recommend Notepad++)
I can help do it, and I think that you will find out that this is not very difficult.
Collapse

633310 (X)

Italian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the link between these two sites Dec 5, 2007

Thanks a lot for your response!
But the only thing is that I cannot understand how these two "separate sites" will be linked between them. Yes the design will be the same for every language. Do I need just to upload html files in different languages and after..? Sorry I'm not really good at website design.
As initially I've used a ready temlpate for my site, now I am a creating a new one by myself and that's not easy..
Tetyana

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
There are diffrent ways to acheive it Dec 5, 2007

There are different way to accomplish this.
The more difficult part is to use a PHP script that will identify the language of the user and accordingly refer it to the appropriate language. But this solution is kind of difficult as it involves PHP.

The two more easier solution are:
1) add a small box as part of the the page layout in which you will list all the languages (either written or represented by flags) you need. Lets say that the default language will be English
... See more
The more difficult part is to use a PHP script that will identify the language of the user and accordingly refer it to the appropriate language. But this solution is kind of difficult as it involves PHP.

1) add a small box as part of the the page layout in which you will list all the languages (either written or represented by flags) you need. Lets say that the default language will be English. Each visitor will first get the English version of the home page (unless your prefer other language as your default) but upon clicking the desired language navigation button he or she will be directed to the site version in that language.

2) before entering your site (I mean before displaying the home page), a welcome screen will appear in which the user will be asked to choose his\hers desired language.

To your next question. You should create different directories for each language. for example:
/your_domain/En/
/your_domain/Ru/
etc.

The first index.html file will be either the welcome screen (above option 2), or the home page in English (above option 1) than after choosing the desired language the user will b linked to the appropriate file as follows.

The user types www.yourdomain.com, than of course he will be taken and see your www.yourdomain.com/index.html.
whether it is the welcome screen or your English homepage it doesn't really matter. When he will click for example on the Russian language button he will be directed to www.yourdomain.com/Ru/index.html (or different name like www.yourdomain/Ru/russianhome.html)

That is the guiding principle that you need to follow, organize each language in it's own directory, and create your links accordingly.
Collapse

633310 (X)

Italian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks a lot Dec 6, 2007

Shai Nave wrote:

1) add a small box as part of the the page layout in which you will list all the languages (either written or represented by flags) you need. Lets say that the default language will be English. Each visitor will first get the English version of the home page (unless your prefer other language as your default) but upon clicking the desired language navigation button he or she will be directed to the site version in that language.

2) before entering your site (I mean before displaying the home page), a welcome screen will appear in which the user will be asked to choose his\hers desired language.

To your next question. You should create different directories for each language. for example:
/your_domain/En/
/your_domain/Ru/
etc.

The first index.html file will be either the welcome screen (above option 2), or the home page in English (above option 1) than after choosing the desired language the user will b linked to the appropriate file as follows.

The user types www.yourdomain.com, than of course he will be taken and see your www.yourdomain.com/index.html.
whether it is the welcome screen or your English homepage it doesn't really matter. When he will click for example on the Russian language button he will be directed to www.yourdomain.com/Ru/index.html (or different name like www.yourdomain/Ru/russianhome.html)

That is the guiding principle that you need to follow, organize each language in it's own directory, and create your links accordingly.

Do you mind if I refer to you again in case I have some problems?
Best regards,
Tetyana

Stefan Keller
Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
I'd keep them in one folder Dec 6, 2007

Shai Nave wrote:

/your_domain/En/
/your_domain/Ru/
etc.

It's not necessary to save them in separate folders. This makes linking more difficult in my opinion, especially when a dedicated folder for graphics/images is already in place.
What we did with our site was keeping files for both languages in the same folder and named them accordingly. So what is "kontakt.htm" in German became "contact.htm" in English.
So, to link to your second/third/etc. language, you only need to change the file name in the respective tag without changing the folders.

Feel free to contact me via e-mail should you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Stefan

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Feel free to contact me whenever you need Dec 6, 2007

Tetyana Lavrenchuk wrote:
Do you mind if I refer to you again in case I have some problems?
Best regards,
Tetyana

Sure, contact me anytime you like.

About Stefan comment. His method will work too, it's just a different approach for the same thing.
My approach is just more convenient and organized to me, if, for example, his approach seems simpler or more convenient to you, than you should follow it. The rule is to follow whatever approach/method you feel most comfortable with.

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:02
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Moving this thread... Dec 16, 2007

...to Localization forum

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

localize a translator's site in different languages

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »