Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Which pressing difficulty are you facing as a translator and which solution do you wish you had?
Thread poster: Ngadjie Wekak Fabrice
Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 23:49
English to Russian
+ ...
ALways worth remembering how many things you don't actually need Oct 23, 2022

Tough times don't always make you a better person but they often do. Complacent, well-fed times don't always lead you into depravity but they often have that effect. Me and my family would spend summers in a place where electricity was the only utility available (so I'm not quite a caveman, I've always had electricity). There was a summer when we couldn't even get well water so I had to walk about a kilometer with buckets to get water from the river (and we had no filters then). There was a tim... See more
Tough times don't always make you a better person but they often do. Complacent, well-fed times don't always lead you into depravity but they often have that effect. Me and my family would spend summers in a place where electricity was the only utility available (so I'm not quite a caveman, I've always had electricity). There was a summer when we couldn't even get well water so I had to walk about a kilometer with buckets to get water from the river (and we had no filters then). There was a time in the very early noughties when we could barely afford to have bread on the table, and that wasn't the saddest of times. One of my favorite pastimes are music walks across the city where I don't have to pay anything to anyone, I'm just walking, listening to music (no subscriptions, I have tons of it in my phone memory), and having a good time. I imagine how much harm my walks are causing to the capitalist system. I often heard from people visiting the U. S. that places there are not designed for people who'd like to take a walk for the heck of it, you're either supposed to drive or go someplace where you'll be expected to leave your money (don't know if it's generally true, partly true, or simply a fake). That principle is behind some of today's bloated, service-dominated economies, which will (imho) start collapsing if people begin to reconsider their consumerist value systems en masse. It won't be a pleasurable experience, but times are not suppose to always change for the betterCollapse

Sadek_A

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: The post it was replying to/referencing has been removed.
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: The post it was replying to/referencing has been removed.
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 21:49
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I thought the same thing Oct 24, 2022

Sadek_A wrote:

Ngadjie Wekak Fabrice wrote:

Hello everyone.
I am doing a little study and I would like you'll answer to the questions below.
The purpose of the study is to bring innovative solutions to the translation industry.

1 - What is your pressing problem as a translator, or as a person in general?
2 - What are you doing to try to remedy to this?
3 - If you had a magic wand, what will you wish to have as a solution to this problem?
4 - Are you ready to pay for this solution? If yes how much?

Thank you for helping me on this 😊

Doesn't the magic wand run in contradiction with the "pay for solution"?

Well spotted!

Sadek_A

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:49
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Weltanschauung II Oct 24, 2022

Michael Newton wrote: I hear people in Germany and Poland are gathering firewood to heat their homes.

Yes, homeowners in Germany, who can own a single-family house with a chimney and with many china on the mantelpiece, are gathering firewood to save gas and money for their next cruise trip. Others don't need to.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-10-24 09:55 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2022-10-24 09:56 GMT]

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Michael Newton

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Paweł Hamerski
Paweł Hamerski
Poland
Local time: 22:49
English to Polish
+ ...
gathering firewood is our tradition Oct 24, 2022

Michael Newton wrote:

I hear people in Germany and Poland are gathering firewood to heat their homes.

Gathering firewood is our tradition, especially if it is free; nowadays we are more traditional it seems, the more so we hear such outlandish tales from the far away...

Matthias Brombach
Michael Newton

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Cruisin' Oct 28, 2022

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Yes, homeowners in Germany, who can own a single-family house with a chimney and with many china on the mantelpiece, are gathering firewood to save gas and money for their next cruise trip. Others don't need to.

I could do with a transpacific voyage right now.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
We don't have any rolling blackouts in CA Nov 23, 2022

We had a couple instances of heavy storm damage 5-7 years ago leading to genuine blackouts for hours and then one single 5-second outage this month.

Not even sure if it was a grid issue or some kind of maintenance/operator error.

Either way, nothing substantial, no crisis. Just nonsense fearmongering by the utility to justify rate increases.

Michael Newton wrote:

The difficulty facing people who live in New England (the Northeast part of the US) is the coming energy crisis. The US is no longer energy-independent and appeals to authoritarian regimes around the world for petroleum have fallen on deaf ears. Sun-drenched California is already experiencing rolling blackouts (thanks to their antiquated electric grid) and the state governments are preparing New Englanders for rolling blackouts. We have no idea when the blackouts will come and how long a blackout would last. New England has already used up 70 % of its emergency petroleum reserves. The US has already used up 60 % of its emergency petroleum reserves. The electric and heating companies are telling us to prepare for 40 to 60 % monthly increases in our electric and heating bills. When the lights go out, I can't translate and it will be difficult to make a living. However, we can live on savings. We have battery-operated CD players and DVD players so we won't lack for entertainment. Netflix and Amazon Prime will not be available. We are laying in supplies of candles and buying multiple flashlights. The official inflation rate of 8.3 % is false and is more on the order of 18 %. Food prices are increasing day by day and there are shortages of milk, eggs and other dairy products. There has been a year-long shortage of infant formula. When there is not enough petroleum, trucks can't deliver foodstuffs and....We are laying in supplies of non-perishable foods, coffee, tea, bottled water and soda and canned goods. Hopefully enough to get us through three or four months. The ransacking of supermarkets we see in cities like New York, SF and LA will most likely come to Boston. We consider ourselves fortunate as we have the foresight and the wherewithal to make it through a perilous winter. There are many others, elderly, homeless, people with limited incomes who won't. I'm not a doomsayer, just a realist. The political situation in the UK aside, things will be very tough for the British this winter and we wish them well. I hear people in Germany and Poland are gathering firewood to heat their homes.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:49
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Pressing Nov 24, 2022

I do have one "difficulty" as a translator but I wouldn't describe it as "pressing". It's a long-term, strategic thing.

It's about continuing to work through the present market turbulence, caused - presumably - by MT, and focussing on the different, high quality market that was always there anyway and will eventually be the only market that exists.

[Edited at 2022-11-24 09:02 GMT]

Adieu
Michael Newton

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which pressing difficulty are you facing as a translator and which solution do you wish you had?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »