Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:25
German to French
+ ...
Apr 16, 2013

Hi all,

Stumbled into this article a few days ago on the business2communit website, it might interest some of you: http://www.business2community.com/social-media/what-is-social-media-marketing-0455164

Social media marketing. Just think about the phrase. It’s pretty much the holy grail of marketing right now, and with good reason – it works! But wait just a second. “Social media marketing” carries a whole lot of weight with it, doesn’t it? Does your usual marketing strategy involve customer service? What about gaining feedback for present products and services, or recruiting ideas for future plans? Social media is pretty clearly more than just marketing. Let’s take a look at how a good social media marketing campaign actually surpasses mere marketing and advertising.

What's your opinion?

Have a great day!
Anne

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:25
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
From the other side of the desk Apr 16, 2013

Depends on your perception of "marketing" and/or whatever kind of marketing you consider appropriate for your business. The "Let's get the word because our product offers unique benefits", or "Let's get the word out because we want to be everybody's buddy, yip, yip, pant, pant..."

Referring to the "article":

First of all, advertising your business among environments that are chiefly conquered by baby photos and teeny pop stars is risky. Make sure that your product fits
... See more
Depends on your perception of "marketing" and/or whatever kind of marketing you consider appropriate for your business. The "Let's get the word because our product offers unique benefits", or "Let's get the word out because we want to be everybody's buddy, yip, yip, pant, pant..."

Referring to the "article":

First of all, advertising your business among environments that are chiefly conquered by baby photos and teeny pop stars is risky. Make sure that your product fits in. My product doesn't.

Quote: "Social Media Marketing Is Research"

Extremely cheap research, that is. And a great means to harvest customer information while bypassing various privacy acts in certain major countries.

Quote: "Social Media Marketing Is Customer Service"

Apparently cheaper than maintaining 24/7 customer service and covering the costs of 1-800 or 1-888 phone lines, right?

Quote: "Social Media Marketing Is Tech Experimentation"

Customers have always made great guinea pigs when it comes to exploiting their personal information.

Quote: "Social Media Marketing Is Community Building"

I wanna be your buddy, I wanna be your buddy!

Quote: "Social Media Marketing Is Marketing" (Do I hear a stomping sound? )

You don't have to apologize, and there is no need to become defensive. Plenty of enterprises have tried it, some got burnt, some are catering to particular target groups and are happy as a clam. Unfortunately I don't sell mass products or juvenile fashion items.

As a small and highly specialized boutique business, don't expect me to offer high-end B2B in the company of Justin Bieber and cat videos. I don't belong there.

Nice try, though!
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Addendum regarding "From the other side of the desk" Apr 16, 2013

We work for the companies who offer management training on how to use and exploit social media data.

'nuff said.

Greetings,

Schnell Creative Group, Inc.
USA

Anne Diamantidis
Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:25
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
;) Apr 16, 2013

Nicole Schnell wrote:

You don't have to apologize, and there is no need to become defensive. Plenty of enterprises have tried it, some got burnt, some are catering to particular target groups and are happy as a clam. Unfortunately I don't sell mass products or juvenile fashion items.

Nice try, though!

Not sure whether you were addressing directly to me there or to the author of the article - but if it's the first case, no problem: I did not write this piece nor defended or attacked it - just wanted to share it and get colleagues' opinions. So I see no reason for me to feel attacked by your reply and thus become defensive

Have a great afternoon!
Anne

Nicole Schnell
United States
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
As long as you disclaim any liability for any aggressively advertised features Apr 16, 2013

Anne Diamantidis wrote:
Not sure whether you were addressing directly to me there or to the author of the article - but if it's the first case, no problem: I did not write this piece nor defended or attacked it - just wanted to share it and get colleagues' opinions. So I see no reason for me to feel attacked by your reply and thus become defensive

Have a great afternoon!
Anne

...nobody is addressing you personally.

Have a great afternoon!

Thanks, it's 6 o'clock in the morning.

Best,

Nicole

kamienZen
kamienZen
Poland
buying audience Nov 27, 2015

I have a question, what do you think about buying views from companies like that: www.socialmediadaily.org
Tell me please, if you ever had been using?

[Edited at 2015-11-30 14:29 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

What is Social Media Marketing?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »